Sunday, September 12, 2010

Meridith Berson - Private Lives

Meridith Berson - September 12, 2010

The other day I watch a House episode that incorporated someone who blogged about everything. Her and her boyfriends fights, as well as medical decisions, were broadcasts via the internet to people all over the world. I have never been one for blogging because usually what is in my head is sovereign there. It's private and putting it out there allows for criticisms that seem based on just the issue, not who I am or who I am interacting with. But amid my own criticisms of this girl who broadcast everything, I began to relate it to being "lost," as discussed in class.
Whether we choose to broadcast our problems to a anonymous viewers or keep them between us and a couple of close friends, I think it goes to show how "lost" we are (as discussed in class.) As a generalization, our culture is extremely dependent on each other. From superficial "jokes" about needing a friends advice before buying something to problems with faith, family, and friends, we constantly ask each other for advice. It seems that we have fallen into a "blind leading the blind" type of scenario. Those who are able to keep their problems under the radar are usually those who are seen as having it the most under control and the most wise, when they may be the most lost, so much so they are unable to even begin to verbalize it.
Although we are all lost in different ways, our dependence on each other is blatant and obvious. However, I would argue it is not shameful. The fact that we are all lost give us a type of fraternity and interdependence that also makes life worth living. This brings me to the question of whether those that we trust we shouldn't also be friends with because a betrayal of friendship could so easily tip a scale and open your personal issues to the world.

No comments: