Sunday, October 24, 2010

Lindsey Pritchett - Defying Convention

Are we fated or destined beings? Stephen Hawking seems to think not. Around the same time Stephen Hawking denounced God as non-creator, a good friend told me "May those who accept their fate be granted Happiness, May those who defy their fate be granted glory." I don't know what this is from, he may have even written it himself, but it struck a chord. There are so many things in this world that we are "supposed to do" and very few have the heart to defy these conventions. Maybe it's not a matter of defying fate so much as defying superiors. In my experience, there seems to be a lot of people that are higher up, career wise and education wise, that have dictated to me that I cannot do something. I think defying fate is a loose term that encompasses a broad spectrum of the human experience. It should be called standing up for what you believe in. Even if that belief is wrong, it is important to have a passion, I think. To believe in something and to actively defend that belief has been the result of greatness from many mind. I believe that the key to progress is thinking outside of the box and defying convent. Perhaps this is merely my fate, I am destined to behave in a manner that reflects this philosophy? I'm not sure, I don't know whether or not I agree with Hawking's declaration. And I don't know what I believe. Sometimes I do feel fated, or destined, to be on this journey. It happens in moments, specific points in time and space, when something magical happens and it feels so great to be alive, encountering the world and the people.

No comments: