Friday, September 28, 2007

MY DREAMS - Mrs. LE (LE, KIM-CHI)

Dr. KIP REDICK
RSTD 337
LE, KIM-CHI
Date: September 27, 2007


MY DREAMS

When I was a young student in Viet-Nam, I used to dream about my education.
Some nights I dreamed I was late in coming to my class, when all the doors were closed. I stood, waiting along time with no one in sight. I was nervous, and then I woke up. I was very happy that I was not late to class. The other day I dreamed that I turned in my test papers late; but my teacher gave me a last chance for five minutes, I was very nervous. Then I turned in all the drafts, and then I notice my test papers still on my hands. I was scared I would fail. Then I woke up. I was happy again. After that day, in my dreams, I saw my lost bicycle was suddenly appear in my garage. I was very happy. Then I woke up and I felt silly.
Now I have a chance to read the book “Philosophy of Religion” from Gary E. Kessler. Shankara explains: “when we awake from our dreams, we think we know the ways things really are rather the way they appeared to be in our dreams. However, what we call being awake is just dreaming on another level. Beyond this is another awakening, and from the point of view of that higher knowledge, this is all appear to be a dream.” P. 51.
When I read the way Shankara explains “Dreams”, I feel very interested. Based on what Shankara says, how are we supposed to know what is real and what is a dream? Shankara seem to be saying that being awake is similar to dreaming but on another level. A dream can feel the same as being awake in certain cases.




.

No comments: