Sunday, December 9, 2007

Ishi

by Alice Mulford

Several weeks ago, we watched a movie on Ishi that nearly broke my heart, completely terrifying me at the same time. The idea of being the last person ever? I would feel a need to repopulate the area, but with no one to do that with, I may have to kill myself.

Regardless of my heartbreak, I was moved by Ishi’s courage. I kind of got the feeling he was amused by the anthropologist and sociologists and whoever else wanted to copy his life down on paper. I think he worked with them like middle-aged men work with trains: they were a hobby. Sure, a hobby he loved, but still just a way to pass the time…

It was kind of funny, I suppose… I believe our society thought they were in charge of him, but I believe that, in a way, he was controlling them. I have complete faith that he could’ve broken free any time he wanted – if he wanted. I think he stayed out of boredom (a little), out of curiosity (a lot) and largely as a part of the dream he had early on in life.

The only thing that gave me any hope in the documentary was the fact that the doctors he spent so much time with grew to love him over time, and that he showed signs of loving them, as well. He seemed so… I don’t know… zen? Ishi looked scared at first, but after a while, he had this calm look, like he knew everything was going to be okay. Again, I think this was the result of his dream. He knew this was going to happen, and I think he understood that there was some kind of reason behind it.

Regardless, it still made Civilized Society look pretty damn bad.

No comments: