Thursday, November 29, 2007

Initial Reaction to Bruchko

Michelle Newcomb
Assigned Readings #2
November 29, 2007


Initial Reaction to Bruchko

When I first started reading Bruchko I was concerned that it was going to be some kind of autobiography by a religious zealot who set out to convert a group of ‘pagans’ but I was glad to find that it was much different. I found Bruce’s sincerity and determination touching, especially for such a young person. It’s obvious to see that these characteristics don’t come with age – judging by the reactions of his parents, church leaders and fellow missionaries in Venezuela.
I’m not so sure this is a good thing – but this is the first firsthand account I’ve ever heard of a truly Christian nature – loving and giving with a sense of brotherhood among mankind. I’ve met my fair share of religious people but none with the conviction and sense of faith in God and mankind. I think this is a really excellent commentary on what Christianity has really turned into - rather than a brotherhood it’s an exclusive, members-only club. I really enjoyed Bruce’s reaction to the structure and restrictions of modern day Christianity – does he really need their permission to be a Christian? I love how he challenges the norms of modern day Christianity, how he questions the ways that the religion can be observed and questions the cultural of Christianity and implies that there isn’t one: “Is that what Christianity is all about? What does the good news of Jesus Christ have to do with North American culture?”

No comments: