Sunday, December 9, 2007

Acorn Bread

By Stephanie Snyder

The class where we tried the acorn bread that Dr. Redick prepared for us made me start thinking about how resourceful primal cultures are and how we have discussed their relationship with nature.

Eveything was a process in primal cultures. Retrieving resources for food, preparing it, making it, baking it, and then consuming it: it all was a valued, well thought out process in which they were humble, resourceful, and efficient.

I remember my reaction to trying the bread. I remember my instinctive reaction was that we desperately needed some butter! But after we started talking about the difference between this organic, natural food and how it was more similar to what those of primal cultures expereince, it made me think of how indulgent our modern culture it.

Primal cultures utilized what they had and were not wasteful. They would not take the extra selfish effort to extract from nature that which they do not need. And I think of how I immediately reacted that I NEEDED butter. What a luxury! It made me appreciate how these people respected their environment and took from it only what they needed for survival, and at the same time showed appreciation for what they were given by nature.

1 comment:

Kip Redick said...

I enjoyed learning about the process of the making of the acorn bread and then finally trying it in class. I honestly never heard of acorn bread until it was brought up in class. It was cool to try something that the Native Americans from around our area made and ate. I do not really get to eat too much anymore that does not have some kind of processing done to it or any kind of artificial flavoring in it. The acorn bread was definitely interesting. The taste was okay, it was kind of a boring taste, but the texture kind of freaked me out. I am not use to eating something with that type of texture to it. Chewing it and swallowing it was really awkward for me.
I realize now that I thought the taste was boring is because I am used to eating things that have so much flavoring it in. We have a tendency to add a lot of extra flavors to the food we eat, including dipping food in sauces. I was not use to the raw, natural taste it had, kind of like the first time I ate sushi and sashimi. Anyway, I thought the acorn bread experience was really interesting.