Sunday, December 9, 2007

Magic vs. Religion (2nd attempt, posted correctly)

By Stephanie Snyder

It is interesting to compare the terms or ideas of magic and religion. In class discussion we talked about how magic is using some kind of technique to manipulate the other. We said that religion is asking for or calling on something or someone else for assistance.I had never really thought about the two terms in light of each other.

It made methink of the two very different ideas that people submit themselves to. Magic seems to be much more of a self centered practicein which one manipulates things to achieve a certain result. I think of things such as saiances and witchcraft in which the end goal is to do something that will benefit you, that serves your own desire or wish. It calls upon faith in oneself.

Religion is more other centered, be it God, or spirit, or even another person. It calls for faith in something that you aren't, someone that you have no control over. Religion places one's trust in something entirely outside of that persons hands.

I personally submit to religion, calling up the assistance of God through my journey in this life and beyond it. I place my faith entirely in Him, rather than myself.

No comments: