Sunday, December 9, 2007

Flower Smiles ^.^

By: Andrew Sakach

Reading Reflection 2

"People like the elderly Neanderthal of Shanidar who could be of little practical benefit to the tribe nevertheless received attention, perhaps at the sacrifice of time and resources" (Carmody, 5).

This kind of cradle-to-grave security is probably why these societies were so successful. It wasn't just Neanderthal's practicing this form of social welfare but all of the human species. It's interesting to juxt oppose our two societies and look at what most of us do with our parents once they go senile or just get too old to take care of themselves, shove them off into a nursing home. I don't know about you guys but if I'm old and have my wits about me I wouldn't mind being able to kick it on the front porch somewhere around friends and family I know I could count on to give me meals and make sure I take baths because I'd still enjoy telling stories, laughing and just being alive. It's a sad state some of us live in v.v

The flower part always fascenated me about funerals. The idea of taking the life of beautiful flowers to give to someone who has died themself, effectivly making a sacrifice of flowers to the person who has passed. It's really sort of a nice thought if you could go to the other world with a bunch of flower spirits as well... I'm sure they'd be sorta pissed but then again maybe they'd consider it an honor to be with you when you were buried. I wonder if flowers can smile?

No comments: