Monday, December 10, 2007

Reflection on Carmody's "Original Visions"

Anna Hemphill

I really liked this book, probably because I connect really well to the idea of the human spirit being part of a supernatural world. I think the powers of God are endless, and there are countless ways He communicates to us if we open our hearts to receive His messages. The book talks about how "the lack of writing could mean being free to let natural beauty, or inner silence, or human speech reach one's spirit directly" (9). Amazing things can happen when you let go and let God reach your soul. Oral peoples - Native Americans, Native Australians, African tribes - hold great reverence for visions and dreams. They are aware of the spirit alive in everything around them, and they listen to the messages it sends.

A specific experience comes to mind when I felt the presence of the Holy Spirit and had some sort of vision. A person whom I love very deeply and I were sitting in his car after a formal party - we were saying goodnight to each other, but we ended up talking about how we were doing spiritually and emotionally. He ended up crying, and when I placed my hand on his back, he stopped. We sat in silence for a long, long time. Finally, at the same moment, we both breathed out and asked each other what had just happened. Our spirits were lifted, and though I can't explain the details of what we experienced, to this day I know it was a miracle of the Holy Spirit. God was present in that car - He was palpable. I can understand what the Native Americans must feel when they go into a "vision pit" because that car was like a pit to us that night. And the revelation was beautiful, life-changing.

No comments: