Monday, December 10, 2007

Closer to the Human Lifeworld

By Janelle Esposito- Orality and Literacy

Written culture can denaturize subjects by making abstract lists, which are devoid of human action. It could be a list of political leaders or divisions which have no real meaning. Itemized lists and how-to-do-it manuals make little to no appearance in oral culture. College is a vehicle to learn abstract concepts which might not have anything to do with the human lifeworld. I am getting my degree in creative writing. Yes, this is something that is, in a sense, closer to the human lifeworld because like oral culture, it attempts to portray humans through stories and poems. However, I am not directly using my concentration in any occupation after college. I am not being directly trained for any type of trade- just receiving an abstract liberal arts education which I can do anything with. In oral societies, trades are learned through apprenticeships- learning under someone. Redick told us that an equivalent word is discipleship. When I think of disciples, I think of how close Jesus' disciples clung to his side. I do not have any sort of relationship with any my professors, nor is a close discipleship encouraged. We as students don't constantly shadow our professors close to 24 hours a day. In our less personable society, it's become archaic to be discipled.

This section brings up interesting questions; what is human activity and what activities as humans do we participate in that isn't very human?

To me, sitting around a dinner table with either friends or family and eating a meal is human activity. Going to Panera with a work associate, and sitting at your laptops while eating a coffee and bagel is not human activity.

Getting outside and doing something like taking a walk or going on a bike ride or going swimming is human activity. Sitting inside, watching reality tv, even though it involves human life is not human activity because you are not engaged in anything. You are content sitting down watching other people do crazy things.

Back to my major, is writing human activity? I spend most of my time in observation and analysis instead of doing anything. But I don't think that this is all that writing can be. Most of my creative writing is based on experiences that I've had when I have been engaged in human activity. When I have encountered the actual instead of the abstract.

No comments: