Sunday, December 9, 2007

Neanderthal Einstien

By: Andrew Sakach

Other Classes: 1

So yeah, when I had read the part in Original Visions about Neanderthals I had wondered what exactly their relationship to Homo sapiens sapien was. Luckily I was also in Human Adaptation an Anthropology class so I found out when we got to that part in the course.

I had been a little upset at how the book semi-portrayed Neanderthals as, sub-human or not human. However I found out through Adaptation that they were in fact a sub-species of human (aka they were human just not named such) because they could reproduce with us and us with 'them'. It's also true that there were skull sizes ranging from 1200 cc's to 2000 cc's brain size! Just so we all know human average cc is 1350ish, so Neanderthal was definitly not 'sub-human' or 'not exactly human'. I just get miffed at the 'othering' of things that are different than us, even in a scholorly book such as this there's still biased because the things just don't quite fit in the margin like they should. Anyway that answered that question.

No comments: