Sunday, December 9, 2007

Faith Like A Child

By Stephanie Snyder

Dear God, surround me as I speak,the bridges that I walk across are weakFrustrations fill the void that I can't solely bearDear God, don't let me fall apart,you've held me close to youI have turned away and searched for answers I can't understandThey say that I can move the mountainsAnd send them falling to the seaThey say that I can walk on waterIf I would follow and believewith faith like a childSometimes, when I feel miles awayand my eyes can't see your faceI wonder if I've grown to lose the recklessnessI walked in light of youLittle girl:"I've got joy like a fountain!""Be kind UNTO others""In Jesus Christ Your son"They say that love can heal the brokenThey say that hope can make you seeThey say that faith can find a SaviorIf you would follow and believewith faith like a child

These lyrics by Jars of Clay capture my place in my spiritual walk right now. I find myself too grown up for my own good and in desperate need of a youthful makeover of the heart.

I remember growing up and embracing the mysteries of who God is. Jesus walked on water, He turned water to wine, He died on the cross and rose again for my salvation. And in return, I am to love unceasingly, to turn the other cheek, to worship and praise in life’s storms, to trust him with all of my heart, and to go to all nations and preach the gospel of Christ.

As a young adult, age 22, I find myself losing that child-like faith that I so desperately seek to have again. I find the simplicity in Christ’s commands daunting especially when I find that while they are simple, they are never easy. But that’s okay because I am called to do that which Christ will allow me to do with His strength.

I heard this Jars of Clay song the other day as a reminder of the faith that I am called to. And I realized the cynical world I live in need not consume and weigh down my faith. It is a world that needs the fresh, open love of a child who never questions the God they know is faithful. I want to be the child that runs with open arms to do the work Christ has called me to.

No comments: