Sunday, December 9, 2007

Dreams

Anna Hemphill

We talk a lot about dreams in this class, as they are an important means of supernatural communication to many tribal peoples. I can relate to their connectedness with dreams because I myself have had some poignant dreams at specific times in my life. I've recognized that I dream most often and most vividly when I'm engaging my creativity on a regular basis or when I'm emotionally involved in something really important (a relationship, a decision, etc.). If my mind is full of thoughts, and especially when I'm in tune with the thoughts, my dreams become very visceral. And they may not even be about the things that I'm thinking about.

One notable dream experience was when I went to volunteer in India this past summer. In the three weeks that I was there I only dreamt twice (which is strange for me). I had made friends with a woman who was very spiritual and very connected to things like dreams. She has a very similar experience with dreams - when she is creative or spiritually open she dreams very vividly. But in India neither one of us was dreaming. We attributed it to the harsh living situation we were in - we were stressed out physically, emotionally, psychologically. We were just trying to get through each day and stay focused on being at peace within ourselves. So while I was in Dharamsala I had two really vivid, detailed dreams that stick with me to this day, and they have to do with two of the most important things in my life.

First, I dreamt about an audition. I came late to the studio and it was already my turn to go in to see the director of the play. I wasn't ready to go in, though, so I started performing my monologue out in the lobby. It was a monologue from the play Communicating Doors, and I nailed it! It felt so good to be performing in that dream, to have a creative release. When I woke up I felt so refreshed and renewed - I felt like myself again. Up to that point I had not been my authentic self - I was quiet, reserved, and judgemental around the other volunteers. I felt out of place, and I let my insecurities keep me from exposing the true self that other people love. I held back instead of sharing my gifts. And though I still was not entirely myself with everyone, after the dream I felt more sure about who I was. I was reminded of what was important to me and what makes me me! In that country on the other side of the globe, I tended to lose sight of what makes me special - I neutralized myself for the task at hand (which is probably the opposite of what I should have done). But acting in that dream was like seeing myself for the first time and liking who I was. I've never before had that kind of existential experience. It was really amazing.

Second, I dreamt about the man that I love. We have not been together for a year and a half, but I have such a strong spiritual and emotional bond with him that I continue to love him, pray for him, and think of him every day. In this dream we talked and we looked at each other, and it was beautiful. I woke up from this dream and cried - I wept. Being with him in that dream reminded me of the most important people in my life: my family, my friends, him. It reminded me why I came on this pilgrimage by myself to India. I am a confidant and positive person, but in this foreign land I felt alone and lost. This dream and the memory of the people who love me were a light in the darkness I experienced in India.

These two dreams are very special to me. They were moments when I was connected to something other worldly and reconnected to myself. I believe God can communicate to us through our dreams - my two dreams in India were some of the most beautiful conversations with God I have ever had.

No comments: