Monday, December 10, 2007

Free Write - The Drum Circle

The drum circle, in relation to concept of primal religions, was a unique experience and something I'll never forget. Upon arrival, we were instructed to remove our shoes, get in a circle, and refrain from speaking. I initially felt a bit uncomfortable and hesitant about the activity. It was something that I had never experienced before, so I had no idea what was about to take place. As we began playing our percussion instruments, though, I began to understand why I was there. I was able to understand why people of primitive religions conducted drum circles – the consistent rhythm of the drms helped me to gain spiritual and mental composure - I was able to block out any and all distractions and simply focus on the activity before me. While the majority of us were probably not “musically inclined”, I sensed that we were all connected somehow – the rhythms being created were so peaceful to me.
I don’t know anyone else’s motives for playing – or who they were playing for – but I was out there worshipping the God of the universe. The same God that has been around long before primitive religion. I know that everyone has their own reality, their own explanation of creation, life and it’s purpose - I put my hope in Christ. He’s the reason I live, the reason I am able to love, He’s the reason I am able to fail miserably at life and get back up and try again. He’s my purpose. Funny enough, while I was out there I was imagining that everyone else was playing for Jesus, too. Though I know that wasn’t the case, I like to think that it will be some day.

No comments: