Sunday, December 9, 2007

New? Oh yeah God just made that...

By: Andrew Sakach

Reading Reflection: 4

"This study is mapping of human cultures analogous to the mapping of the physical territory. Yet, there is no satellite imaging that would give us a sense of a God's eye or objective view. All maps are the invention of encounter and expectation" (Gill, 3-5).

The beginning
of this book was so good. Being an Anthropology minor I couldn't have
asked for anything more interesting. First off I had no idea what the
Europeans really thought about discovering the 'New' World or how it
had completely shattered their worldview.

Coincidentally thinking about this new information got me to how I had once conceived of how the encounter occurred, the infamous High School education. We're told that the New World was new because 'no one had discovered it' not because they had no conception that it had existed and that it was new only because God had made it just then. The things I learned in High School were so rudimentary, if not flat out inncorrect it seems like a big waste of my life in all honesty. Learning is best done when the individual wants to learn the information that's out there, the excuss of, well if they don't get exposed to it then they won't know it exists is stupid. When you're little you don't ask to go to a gynocologist when you want to know where babies come from you simply ask, "Where do babies come from?" and you get an answer from your parent, not some school. I really can't stand how we educate our kids especially since reading My Ishmael and taking History classes with Dr. Puaca. It's really depressing... sorry for all the seeming rants that my reflections turn into, my mind just starts bouncing away. >.>

No comments: