Monday, December 10, 2007

Free Write - Rituals

I believe rituals and rites of passage are performed to resemble that of something similar to the original creative act. Creation, therefore, is not a chronological event that took place "back then," but an ever-presentness. Ritual enactment keeps one in touch with that presentness as an eternal reality. When I was in high school, felt as if I were conducting in a ritual process every time I would go on a run. I didn’t worry about anything else, I just focused on the present task. One breath at a time, one step at a time – if I thought too far ahead, I’d lose focus and cramp up or lose my pace.

In conducting further research, I would like to gain a more full understanding of the religious significance of the mask in primal consciousness and ritual practice. Why does simply putting a mask over one’s face enhance the ritualistic experience?

No comments: