Monday, December 10, 2007

Free Write - Space vs. Place

I remember being asked in a course titled Wilderness as Sacred Place, “What is the difference between ‘space’ and ‘place?’” These primitive concepts are so difficult for me to fully wrap my mind around. It often helps me to take such dense terms and simplify them as much as possible without removing all substance. For example, when I put “place” in most simple terms, I define the concept space (which is never ending) with a spatially limited circle drawn around it. Place is simply a select space – that which holds unique significance to each individual. The primal consciousness is identified in this particular place because its what we’re familiar with. In other words, one's physical place is one's spiritual base. One question that I can’t seem to find an answer to is: Which is more significant – space or place? Both have held significance in my life, but I can’t determine which more than the other.

No comments: