Sunday, December 9, 2007

Circular Drummage by Nick Clarke

Many other classes have failed to reach me because of the overwhelming monotony of lectures day in and day out however this was not the case for Primal Religion. The best example of this was without a doubt the drum circle which was as far away from a lecture class as mentally and physically possible. This was such a good experience because it took concepts from class and allowed us to experience them first hand and I feel this is a much better form of teaching/learning. My experience at the drum circle was probably pretty similar to that of many others who had never partaken in something such as this. At first I felt slightly hesitant to play because I didnt want to do something wrong or sound like an idiot but after a few minutes I began to not care about that any more and just started to play whatever came to me. During an experience like this i can definitely see how bonds can be formed through the act of making music together and how these bonds can transcend even words. Despite this feeling however, I did not feel any spiritual feelings during the drum circle nor did I feel any specific connection to the instrument I was playing unlike many others. I had a good time and enjoyed the worldly gratifications that came with it such as creating bonds and just doing something different but I didnt feel anything deeper than that. Maybe that is something that would come with time.

No comments: