Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Alanna Dailey - herbal Remedies

Herbal Remedies: choice
I went to the American Indian festival and I was surprised at the number of herbs on sale for medicinal purposes. I am not sure why I was so surprised because I knew that herbs and plants were used as medicine, but I guess I thought the use always involved ritual and shamans. A common herb that was on sale was dried sage. If you burn it in a shell, the sage is supposed to remove your anxiety after a stressful day. It can also be ingested to cure migraine headaches and use to relieve sinus congestion and pain.
Herbal remedies have increased in popularity in recent time. We have entire grocery stores devoted to everything natural thanks to the fear of negative consequences from too much synthetic chemicals. It seems we are reverting back/rely on oral cultures for “new” or different types of remedies. The main difference in today’s herbal remedies is that the remedy comes in a pill form.

No comments: