Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Lindsey Pritchett - WIll Sing For Food

Last week, I attended the event "Will Sing for Food." When I first went, I expected it would just be a night of music and we would donate some canned food or money to get in the door and that would be that. Instead, I discovered a night full of meaning and inspiration. Each song had a message, a deep and powerful one, as did the stories. Some of my favorite songs were played that night and some were songs I had forgotten. It made me realize the we each have a role to play in life. We can either help others and give whatever we can to the people and the community around us or we can isolate ourselves from that community and be blinded to the suffering of other people. I feel like I see the world and the people in it in 2D, sometimes, because I am so busy with school, work, and soccer. Either I get home and I'm too tired or I just don't want to think about the fact that other people are less fortunate than me. "Will Sing For Food" was a wake up call. In a way, it said to me "Hey, you've been blind all this time to what's really around you and what's really important. Wake up, open your eyes, and give back whatever you can." The story about giving from your wealth, whatever that wealth may be, really hit home. I wound up donating all of the canned goods in my apartment that I had no intention of eating. It wasn't much, but when I took it to the food bin in the Freeman, I wound up doubling the amount of food that was already in there. I'm sure there was not enough food to feed everyone that's hungry in our community, but I take comfort in knowing that a few starving bellies will be momentarily relieved.
The impact "Will Sing For Food" had transcends that moment, it's something that has stuck with me since. And I keep asking myself, "are you giving from your wealth?"

No comments: