Tuesday, November 30, 2010

”Technology” by Brandon Schall

Yesterday I tried to go without my cell for the entire day. Although I could not go the day without using my computer because I had to check my e-mails and do my school work, I tried not to use my cell phone. I felt really awkward; I do not understand how people survived without technology in an oral culture. It was a feeling of uncertainty when I was not able to talk to my friends. I still met them for lunch and talked to my roommates at home but it was different. It was a lost feeling, I felt like I was no longer in control of my life. People in the past did not have this technological advancement and they survived just fine without it. They had to walk long distances to another person’s village in order to talk to them. It is hard to believe that a person had travel great distances just to carry on a conversation. But, I imagine they valued their friends and family back then more than we do today. I feel that since I depend on current technology it has hindered my ability to communicate through just one on one oral conversation and it is disappointing.

No comments: