Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Alanna Dailey - Indian Mascots

Indian Mascots: Choice
After watching the film about Mato Tipil and sacred place, I was in awe in how Americans really do not understand American Indian culture. They related climbing Matp Tipila to someone climbing on Mt. Rushmore or a church, yet we still climb Mato Tipila. A recent controversy concerns the use of American Indian themed mascots. Two examples that are close to my personal experience are the Richmond Braves and University of William and Mary’s Tribe. As a native Richmonder, I grew up with the Richmond Braves as our minor league baseball team. However, this past summer, the Braves left Richmond and the city voted on the “Flying Squirrels” as our new team mascot. William and Mary’s mascot recently changed from the Tribe to the Griffins.
American Indians find the use of Indian mascots offensive. These mascots often portray American Indian culture inaccurately and in ways that reflect a negative opinion on American Indians. Such negative portrayals include show the Indian as aggressive and wild. Americans do not understand the meaning behind many of the team mascot rituals and therefore should not perform them no matter how cool they may look. Also, “Redskins” is a derogatory word and should not be promoted. This is similar to using the “N” word or “slave” to describe an African American mascot.
Though I am in favor of eliminating the use of Indian mascots, I also understand the pride and identity that is accompanied with the mascots. Fans take it personally when they are told that their favorite team’s mascot is offensive. I went to a high where the mascot was the Rebels – pertaining to the Confederacy. I was mad when I thought they would change the mascot; I thought that the word rebels did not necessarily mean that we were racists. Now I understand that anything related to the Confederacy is painful to many people. So I believe that all Indian mascots should be changed or get American Indian approval. We should swallow our pride and listen to the requests of the American Indians.

No comments: