Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Stephanie Whitehead - Give From Your Wealth

There was something that Dr. Redick said once at an event I went to. He said that we should all "give from our wealth." It's a concept that struck me hard and made me think a lot. I hadn't ever thought of whether or not I was giving from my wealth or my poverty. To me, giving was giving and people would appreciate anything they were given because it came with decent intentions. But after that night I realized that there were many types of giving. The kind where you give just to feel better about yourself and to make yourself look good and the kind where you truly want to help others. To give from your wealth is to give from what you have the most of and not enough people do this. A lot of people don't give at all in fact. I believe we are so caught up in our own world and our own goals that we have forgotten that we live in a community and the community is far greater than that of Newport News, VA. It's that of human kind as a whole. Take a moment to step outside of you comfortable world and goal driven life and look around you. Truly see what surrounds you and appreciate it. People need to slow down and notice the beauty in the world and all of their peers who could use a hand. The old saying that what comes around goes around is applicable. In some way each and everyone of us are lacking something and are "poor" in some way and need someone to give us a hand. So we should all give from our "wealth" and abundance and CARE for the people around us and aim to help them when ever we can, not because we have to but because we want to and it's a good and positive thing to do that will enrich our world.

No comments: