Sunday, November 14, 2010

Corey Maiden-Life as a secondary state of mind

Ok so in one of my other class we are going over some pretty interesting material. The concept is basically that life as we perceive it is a secondary state of mind even though we live as though it were our natural state. Our original state is just our inner monologue devoid of any outside influences or perceptions. I don’t know if I can agree with this theory because I see the two states of mind as being necessary for the other. My argument is that without our life experiences we would have no inner monologue and without inner monologue we would scarcely be able to apply cognition to our sensory stimuli. This separating the two makes me see people as more like plants than the social creatures that we are. I think that separating yourself from this reality like those who meditate to get rid of all sensory perceptions is kind of a waste of time. My feeling on the metaphysical aspect of it is that if I have a soul I will have plenty of meditation time when it is disconnected from my body, and if I don’t, there’s really no point in worrying about it because when I die I will no longer exist.

No comments: