Tuesday, November 30, 2010

“How to Remember” by Brandon Schall

When reading Ong I learned something. I had always thought that in oral cultures people memorized stories and information from others telling the story. This is not completely true; often times the people learned the information from text or written documents in order to be able to tell the story orally. They remembered this through repetition until they learn the information. This reminds me of the way I learn for a test that I take in school. Although I hear the information in class orally, I still must write the information down to learn it. This helps me later when I am taking a test on the information because; I am able to read it over until I can remember it. Although I do not have to recite the information orally, it still helps me to learn it so I can write the information during a test. I think it is interesting that people in oral cultures learned the information similarly to the way I still learn the information.

No comments: