Monday, November 15, 2010

Celebration-Matthew Winkler11

In class this past Thursday we talked about celebration. My take on celebration is that it is living in the past. We have a moment in the past that means something to us in a positive fashion. We will retell the story and throw celebrations in order to try and regain the feeling that we felt. This is what a celebration is. A celebration tends to be a self-oriented event. It is when an individual wants to hang onto a piece of their past because the best moment they have experienced has already passed them by. I think we should take note of our accomplishments but not dwell on them. Instead we should look to the future to our next big accomplishment. Excessive celebration hurts productivity. We have ceremonies for every building or bridge that is constructed. It becomes a big photo shoot where everyone pats himself or herself on the back for a job well done. I think we should build something and then move onto the next project because buildings when in progress are an inconvenience and an eyesore. If we got all our buildings done with as fast as possible we could focus on fixing damages and focusing on other things. That is when a celebration comes only when all tasks are accomplished.

Should we celebrate things that we were supposed to do? We should maybe celebrate when someone goes beyond what their job is because they are doing more then what they were supposed to do. In athletics most individuals have goals and maybe an end goal. I take note of my own personal accomplishments along the way but a true celebration would be for myself when I hit a milestone that has been a long time goal. I think accomplishment is sometimes all the joy we need to feel. Knowing that you have completed a task takes a great weight off ones shoulders because they are done. So am I wrong to think that I we as a society celebrate too much? I could go on for a few pages about how we don't give credit enough. I guess we have a balance where we can celebrate a lot because other people do not always understand that what has been accomplished is a big deal.

No comments: