Saturday, November 27, 2010

How Advanced-Matthew Winkler15

I guess I would have to say that when I think of Primal religions and oral people's I think of tribes men who live relatively primitive lives. They live in make shift homes if they have any and live at piece with the land. I have heard in my history classes that writing began about 3500BCE. It was rather basic at this time but it was still writing. So over Thanksgiving break I have been watching my fair share of TV and saw this program where they were talking about people that used to live closer to the oceans because sea levels used to be lower. So sea levels were lower during the ice age and as the ice still melts today the ocean levels around the world continue to rise. I think most of us know that there were people who lived in fishing communities. They became displaced as the water levels rose.
So back to what I saw on TV. They have found buildings that are made of sandstone and other stone materials that are about 70 meters or feet under water. Well the program I was watching said that this area would have been underwater since before 10,000BCE. That is well before writing and Sumerians type civilizations had begun. This already calls into question how long man had been doing things like this and brings me to my question. Do you think that you need writing to construct buildings and basic city structure.
One of these places is located off the southern tip of India. In Hindu oral stories there are stories about people who lived from 30,000 to 10,000 years ago under leadership of a deity. The stories goes that there was a fight between deities and the land was flooded. So it has already been around and passed on in the form of oral stories but this TV show was the first time that I have ever heard of this. How long were these civilizations around for? Did they have writing? Can they build these structures without writing? Maybe oral stories should be listened closer too so we can find civilizations that might change our view of how advanced primitive man was.

No comments: