Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Writing and how we speak-Matthew Winkler

In class today,one of the students who were doing their presentation on Ong's book talked about speech and writing. the question was asked, "do we write how we speak?" I thought about this and jotted down a few thoughts on the subject thinking that this would be a good reflection blog to do. So do we write the same way we speak?
When I was younger and remembered my life in class and at home where my way of speak was corrected to fit proper sentence structure. The grown ups told me that I needed to speak properly so that I could learn how to write properly. As I grew older I began to hang out with more people who spoke differently then myself. Hearing this new form of speech I began to incorporate it in my form of speech. I also was story writing at this time and creativity is essential for effective story writing in my opinion. I then began to write how I speak. This was in high school and college. I was told it was refreshing by some individuals the way I wrote. they said it was as if they could see me talking to them through my writing. So I guess some people do write the way they speak, especially in texting and emails with friends. Most individuals have a professional speech and a casual speech. I believe that this is the same for writing. We choose how to talk based on the situation was are in.

No comments: