Friday, December 3, 2010

Birth - Alexandra Brown

Well, I just posted a blog on death, so I thought I should talk about something happy, and what is greater than the birth of a child? I read a passage in Carmody that discussed how shamans name children. They cast mites or read the stars. At first this seemed like such a bad way to name children. What if a child ended up with a bad name, like Fabio (not that they would name a child that...but just saying)? But when I looked at it, to those cultures, reading the stars or casting mites would be THE way to decide. It's just like what parents do nowadays. They may come up with names beforehand, and sometimes they stick with whatever name they pick. But sometimes they see their child for the first time, and it just comes to them. My aunt and uncle just had a baby girl, and they are of the previous opinion (they decided on a name LONG before she was born). But I like to think that I will be of the later persuasion. Of course i'll come up with names, but I feel that I won't really know until I see him/her. This will be when I "read the stars". I'll find my sign.

Carmody, Denise, and John Carmody. Original Visions: The Religions of Oral Peoples. New York City, NY: MacMillan Publishing Company, 1993. Print.

No comments: