Saturday, December 11, 2010

Elizabeth Dean - Religion Reflection

Catholicism-

I don't know much...but my cousin and I had a discussion regarding our religious beliefs. I was raised Methodist and she Catholic. Here is what I grasped:

They follow 10 commandments that seem like a no brainer to most, i.e. Thou shall not kill, thou shall not steal, thou shall have only one god, etc. The few that shocked me (but still a no brainer) include: thou shall obey their mother and fathe (keeping your kids in line), thou shall not covet their neighbors wife (adultury), thou shall honor the holy sabbath day (Sunday). They must go to confession and express their sins. This not only seems scary to me but confusing...how can a priest release you from your sins and offer you forgiveness?? The whole point in religion is to honor thy father (god) and only he can forgive you? Is putting yourself in a tiny room and telling your 'sins' to a man what god wants from us all?

No comments: