Friday, December 3, 2010

Paige Lussier - Thanksgiving and Family

I'm from Massachusetts, and as an out-of-state student it's hard for me to make it home as much as other students. I had decided a while ago that I wouldn't go home for Thanksgiving, since it just didn't make sense to pay for a plane ticket when I would be going home two weeks later. However, that didn't mean I wasn't upset at the thought of not being able to spend the holiday with my family. As my favorite holiday, the thought of spending it alone was really upsetting to me. I called one of my friends who I used to work with crying, and she immediately asked her mom if it was ok if I spent Thanksgiving with them. It was probably one of the nicest things anyone could have done for me at that point and I couldn't have been more thankful. I had such a great day with her and her family looking back wouldn't have wanted it any other way. While I was still sad I couldn't see my own family, it made me realize how warm and giving some people are to welcome a stranger into their home. If I am ever given the opportunity to give someone a place to spend the holidays, I will in a heartbeat.

No comments: