Friday, December 3, 2010

Stephanie Whitehead – Drum Circles

I used to attend weekly drum circles in Norfolk until I realized how expensive the gas was and because the owner and I had a few… issues that he could not see past and I no longer felt welcome. I found it truly fascinating and liberating. I often had great amounts of energy built up within myself and I loved to harness it, however, I had nothing to channel it into. Drum circle was a perfect place for me to do just that. The whole goal was that everyone there would build up enough energy that there would essentially be a column of energy just sitting in the middle of the circle of drums and dancers and then the man in charge would utilize it for some purpose (I believe he was wiccan and used it for some spell or other to aid people in health or something similar). It was a great experience because everyone was so excepting of others and we were all united with a single cause and purpose. I enjoyed watching others harness their energy and the energy around them in the world as much as I enjoyed participating. People truly were happy when they were letting go of themselves and allowing their bodies to be used as instruments of this world. I found it fascinating that people would be able to just jump into the circle and start drumming and everyone would easily fall into a rhythm and harmony together and that harmony would change and everyone would change their drumming at the same time and then laugh. It was a wonderful experience that brought strangers together as one and truly allowed people to express themselves. I miss it a lot and having drum circle in class was a wonderful reminder of how great it had been.

No comments: