Friday, December 3, 2010

Morgan Arnold (Class Reading Blog) Original Visions Chapter 4

I was blessed with the chance to take a trip to Kenya with my family a few years ago. My grandmother took us to about four different, little villages that she has worked with for years. It was the most priceless experience. Carmody and Carmody bring up a point in Chapter 4 of Original Visions: The Religion of Oral Peoples that I was amazed by when I was in Kenya. There are over 700 languages in the African region (p. 57). A friend that I met in a little village outside of Nairobi absolutely amazed me. She was sixteen years old and never had a formal education, yet she spoke 5 languages. She spoke Swahili (the main African language), English, her tribal language, her clan language and French! This proves that even though one might be illiterate, they are NOT unintelligent- typically, quite the opposite.

No comments: