Friday, December 10, 2010

Martin Bretzin #2

The Sacred Lands of the Navajo people is a very interesting topic. According to the film we watched in class, the Navajo people of America are still fighting over land rites today (or, at least whenever the film took place). The film discussed primarily the site known as Devil's Tower, or Mato Tipila (Bear's Tower). I found it interesting that the rock climbers trying to use the mountain actually sounded like they believed the mountain was sacred to them. I was a little disgusted with the human ego after witnessing this, because I truly believe the some of the climbers have honestly convinced themselves that the mountain has become sacred to them. Is it right that I'm disgusted? I have no idea. I just feel that in order for the climbers to learn this association with the land, they must have initially not felt that way until after they disrespected the natives. It is very likely that if they were unaware of the fact that they were walking all over someone else's sacred ground, that they didn't truly think of the mountain as a sacred place, until after it couldn't be theirs. It reveals an ugly side of human nature, where the relationship people develop with their landmarks manifest from the a blatant disregard for others' beliefs and an inherent exploitation of belief systems in general to achieve personal gain. I understand that this conflict may have occurred as a result of "pure" intentions, but I cannot find a legitimate reason to support the invading climbers' argument.

No comments: