Friday, December 10, 2010

Martin Bretzin #5

Martin Buber's arguments on social interactions peaked my interest in class. I used a bit of his arguments, or at least themes discussed in class, for writing my final paper. I ended up citing on of his main works regarding the topic of "I and thou" to avoid citing "class notes" for everything. However, I feel like I was missing out in do so, because I failed to read the majority of the work I cited. I sort of just used a very small sample to support my paper. According to Buber's biography, his work was considered to be very interesting. I realize that anyone who writes a biography will try to label the subject as interesting, but based on the stimulating ideas of the "I thou"/ "I it" argument alone, I would like to see what else Buber has to offer in his work. It shows that Buber is a lesser known historical philosopher, so many of his ideas came from the perspective of someone who lived in an entirely different culture than that of today's. This cultural difference could additionally provide projective information concerning everyday life in Martin Buber's time.

No comments: