Saturday, December 11, 2010

Elizabeth Dean

Matin Buber's main proposition in his I-thou research is that we may address existence in two ways. The first being of the "I," towards an "it," towards an object that is separate in itself which we either use on experience,; and that of the "I," towards "Thou," in which we move into existence in a relationship without bonds. One of the major themes of the book is that humanlife finds its meaningfulness in relationships. All of our relationships, Buber contends, bring us ultimately into relationship with God, who is the Eternal Thou. Reading all about Buber's theories made me take a deeper look at the relationships I have in my own life. To engage in an "I-Thou," relationship, one is completely, fully, and genuinely committed in the relationship, and the "I," does not objectify the "it," but rather acknowledges a living relationship instead. I think I'd like to make an effort in my life, and in my relationships to engage in more I-Thou relationships, and move away from I-It. I want to fully engage with the second party. In an I-it relationship the subject is focused on superficial things that make the person as opposed to fully engage with them.

No comments: