Friday, December 3, 2010

Dialogue - Alexandra Brown

When we were in class discussing I-Thou and I-It, I had a thought. I wondered why those specific words were used to describe that mentality. Thou seemed like such a traditional word. One that I haven't heard in anything but Shakespeare plays. But then I thought that the traditional sound of Thou might be exactly what is needed. Thou hasn't been used in everyday speech for over a hundred years (and probably longer, but I don't want to say just how long because I honestly don't know). Thou was used back in a time where everything had meaning. Everything that was said, was meant in earnest. There was a dialogue occurring between the speaker and "thou". It was up close and personal, and there was no jest. Nowadays, there are too many "just kidding" comments. And half the time, those comments are only made after the listener protests in some way (either verbally, or through their expression, etc.). There is no personal connection being made. The speaker doesn't consider his/her audience, until it is sometimes too late. Then they have to correct what they've said by saying "just kidding". There no longer is a "thou".

No comments: