Friday, December 3, 2010

Paige Lussier - Sex

I remember the day that Professor Redick read Native American sex stories to the class. I was really surprised at how graphic the stories were, as at least when I think of past culures, I don't necessarily think about them enjoying sex. I know it's a part of life, but I associate the pleasure aspect with today's society. I also felt like a lot of people in the class felt really awkward about the situation, like it was taboo to be talking about. I don't share this view. Sex is all around us, and most recently the Captain's Log has decided to publish an anonimous column in the paper every week discussing this very subject. I have heard a lot of complaints about it from various students, such as it's inappropriateness and that we don't want to be viewed as "that kind" of school. I wonder if the people realize that most Ivy League schools have entire magazines and newspaper dedicated strictly to the topic of sex and other entertainments. For example, Yale, Harvard, and Boston University are all wellknown schools that also have very well known newspapers that discuss solely the topic of sex and relationships. Do we not want to be considered on the same level as these schools? And honestly, if you don't like the article, don't read it. I don't like articles on politics, but hey, that's life.

No comments: