Tuesday, December 7, 2010

personal choice #2 - kim Robinson

This semester in the class I got to participate in something I have never done, a drum circle. I’ve been at many drum circles before but never was I part of the beat making music occur. It was a cool experience to have to see how 20 something rhythmically challenged students were able to make something that was oddly good. Although we had our moments where nothing seemed to be going together and we all had opposing sounds and beats coming out. However, every once every awhile everything would flow together and a rhythm would begin and continue. I’ve never been that good at any music. I mean the most I ever played was a clarinet in 6th band class. For me it was cool to a part of something that sounded so good and something that was fun doing. Also, during the session you could feel the beats in your body, in your blood. It was like listening to really loud music right next to you, but this came through the ground, through your instruments we were holding. Hopefully someday soon I’ll be able to participate in another drum circle, and not just watch but actually participate.

No comments: