Friday, December 3, 2010

Morgan Arnold (Class Reading Blog) Original Visions Chapter 5

Carmody and Cardmody explore a really unique and intriguing piece of Australian tradition called the “tjurunga.” This is a very sacred board that is a part of a ritual when boys go through initiation to become men. There is a large rituals process that he must go through in order to obtain and prove his ability to protect the tjurunga. So what is this important piece? It is a “portable painting that represents aspects of the dream-time” (p. 85). There are even pictures of aborigines explaining the significance of the stone to younger men. I love the idea of this important piece of religion being passed down from generation to generation. I actually have this beautiful painting of my Grandfather’s father that I hope to continue to pass down throughout my family. I know it is not of religious meaning, but it is an integral part of sharing what is important to our family.

No comments: