Friday, December 10, 2010

Martin Bretzin #10

Reciprocity is an interesting idea. My understanding, now of reciprocity, is that it involves a relationship between two forms. This relationship is characterized by some sort of verbal or non-verbal dialogue in which the forms act upon each other. In class, we attempted to brainstorm how a human could develop a reciprocal relationship with a device or object. No one was able to provide an accurate guess, without the teacher revealing the process to us. In order to engage in an "I thou" dialogue with an object, the relationship is entirely dependent on the attitude the person has in regard to the situation. The person needs to be aware of both his effect on the object and the objects effect on him. These thoughts do not have to occur at the same time, but ideally sequentially, or very close together, as the person forms his or her understanding of the connection. Redick illustrated this procedure by describing how he would do so with a piece of talk. After that lecture, I came to the decision that I do not need or at least do not desire to form constant "I thou" relationships with objects in my environment. Rather, I'm more interested in using this attitude to improve my relationships with other individuals, so that the conversations I have with others can be less utility and function based, and more sensation based.

No comments: