Friday, December 3, 2010

Stephanie Whitehead – Movie Two

I found the second movie we had to watch in class on Wednesday fascinating. I liked how it showed the contrasting points of views on the various religious locations. I found it interesting how some people appreciated that the places were religious locals for the Native Americans and respected their wishes entirely, how others saw their points in absolutely no manner at all and resented them, and yet a third action understood their views but still held to their own and made compromises. I had great respect for the Indians who also understood the others points of view and were willing to compromise. There was however one faction of Native Americans which I didn’t respect as much. It might have been there desperation that caused this disharmony but I was put off by the fact that they wanted other to make concessions for them and yet they were not willing to do the same for others. It was the final tribe who wanted their spring to be left alone and the ski resort not to be built. I understood their requests for quite and respect for the place however I thought it horribly hypocritical of them to say that no other religious faction should be allowed out there. The one woman asked why they couldn’t go to another mountain because there were lots of mountains and why they had to pick this one particular one. This really bothered me because of all religions I expected theirs to understand when people are draw to a particular location. She should have understood that this was a location that they felt tied to as well and, while it wasn’t to her perfect liking, she could have compromised to share the space for religious purposes for they do not own the land, as they well know, because no one can truly own the land. It must be shared.

No comments: