Friday, December 3, 2010

Stephanie Whitehead – Osmosis

I wish osmosis applied to humans and knowledge. I know many people joke about being able to merely touch a book and know everything it holds within but I feel as though it would be wonderful to understand more easily the things I am told to comprehend in life. I actually have taken to putting books I’m reading for papers on my head, open, when I am feeling stressed about the paper or I have been sitting for hours absorbing information from sources. I hadn’t noticed until one weekend my mom stopped walking past and looked at me and asked if I was attempting osmosis because that couldn’t really be helping me finish my paper seeing as I was just staring at my laptop holding the book on my head in exasperation. As the weeks progressed and I had more and more papers due, I noticed that when I got exasperated at the source and paper I would put the book on my head and sit there. I think somewhere along the line I took one of those jokes about osmosis and humans and books too literally. However, somehow, it does tend to help me refocus and get back in writing mode so I don’t begrudge myself this activity if it occurs as bizarre and strange as it is. I merely wish the book actually would impart its knowledge and intellect into my brain while it was sitting on my head.

No comments: